Child Safety Award And Recognition Event
Each year, TOPDD is the proud organizer and host of the J.C. Montgomery Jr. Child Safety Award (CSA) ceremony, a state-wide recognition event heldin the prestigious Lieutenant Governor's Reception Hall within the state capitol building. The CSA's were designed to recognize the importance of child safety and highlight the individuals and organizations in Texas who work tirelessly to keep children safe.
The J.C. Montgomery, Jr. Child Safety Award recognizes and celebrates the accomplishments of individuals in Texas and organizations in the state that exemplify innovation, efficacy, community involvement, and dedication to injury prevention and safety for all children. The CSA selection committee considers safety work across a broad scope of topics including:
- Children with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities
- Water safety
- Safe sleep
- Sports injury prevention
- Child pedestrian safety
- Transportation and Vehicle Safety
- Prevention of child maltreatment
This ceremony is a bridge that connected people and organizations across the state so that they may build upon one another’s strengths and knowledge to improve child safety in Texas.
Previous CSA Events
Partnerships in Child Safety
TOPDD partners with volunteers that donate their time and expertise because they recognize that no single system can adequately reduce the incidence of and impact of developmental disabilities.
- The Office developed the following video in collaboration with Christina DeJoseph, a former world class athlete and and the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services.
- TOPDD maintains a comprehensive online collection of publications on topics about child safety, injury prevention, and developmental disabilities. The Office created a speical resource page designed for professionals working in the Texas Women, Infant, and Children (WIC) program. You can check out this collection at https://topdd.texas.gov/content/texas-wic-resources
- TOPDD continues to partner with the Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children on the annual Bicycle Rodeo and Child Safety Day for the greater Dallas area. For 16 successful years, this awareness event has focused community attention on the need for proper cyclist training, child car seat education, fire safety, and home safety.
Child Safety and Injury Prevention Newsletter
TOPDD produces the Child Safety and Injury Prevention Newsletter to educate stakeholders and motivate collaboration between safety leaders.
SPRING/ SUMMER ISSUE (2015)
- Spotlight on Prevention | Child Abuse and Period of Purple Crying Program
- Child Safety Quiz
- Prevention of Common Child Car Seat Mistakes
FALL/ WINTER ISSUE (2014)
- Spotlight on Policy | Interview with State Representative Eddie Lucio, III
- 4 Ways to Advocate
- Holiday Safety Tips
Child Safety And Injury Prevention Resources
The following Child Safety And Injury Prevention Resources includes a collection of publications and presentations that contain useful information to host a community-wide event promoting child safety awareness and injury prevention.
- Make Child Safety A Daily Habit Poster
- Bicycle Helmet Safety Do's And Don'ts
- Bike Safety And Child Safety Day Event Guide | (PDF)
- Bicycle Safety Awareness Presentation | (PDF)
- Bicycle Safety Checklist
- Resources for Texas WIC Staff and Health Professionals
- More Child Safety And Injury Prevention Resources
Child Safety and
Injury Prevention Task Force
Senior Director of Special Events
Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children
Dr. Valerie Kiper
Texas Tech University School of Nursing
Director of Operations
Texas Office for Prevention of