Preventable Developmental Disabilities
The prevention of brain injuries is absolutely fundamental to preventing developmental disabilities (DDs). TOPDD primarily addresses the prevention of acquired child brain injury and fetal alcohol spectrum disorders.
The Texas Office for Prevention of Developmental Disabilities (TOPDD) mission is to minimize the human losses caused by preventable developmental disabilities, especially Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) and child brain injury.
The disabilities associated with brain injury and prenatal alcohol exposure are complex and impact every area of life.
Did you know?
1 in 6 children has a developmental disability
The cost of addressing issues that children with developmental disabilities experience is estimated to be $2million dollars per child; the human cost and personal impact cannot be quantified.
Children with developmental disabilities frequently need services from a large cross-section of systems in Texas throughout their lifetime. Accessing services is a struggle.
Living with developmental disabilities creates tremendous stress on the individuals, their families and communities.
- Join the #HeroesForHope conversation in the evening this Thursday 5/5: https://t.co/ziAmBs5re1 #childmentalhealth #MindingMinds — 15 hours 41 min ago
- RT @nctsn: NCTSN has resources to support Mental Health Awareness Month & Children's Mental Health Awareness Day https://t.co/TG3sxw03uI #HeroesofHope — 21 hours 48 sec ago
- RT @CDC_NCBDDD: On May 5th, let’s inspire hope in our children—together. https://t.co/aPJhzoUlu0 #HeroesofHope https://t.co/rMK1roN26Q — 21 hours 1 min ago
- RT @ChildMindDotOrg: May is mental health month! Be sure to check out our websites for events and info around #mentalhealth https://t.co/qQcfQ2d4XV — 21 hours 56 min ago
- Dr. Quintero-Conk truly "gets it," and knows that ppl w disabilities & their families are THE key stakeholders! https://t.co/HKEW7uPEbe — 1 day 19 hours ago
- @mqconk Thank you for being such a guiding light for this work (and for being a great panelist!) #MindingMinds https://t.co/ZKpfMf08Tw — 1 day 20 hours ago