Download our "Minding the Minds of Children" Brochure and learn more about the Texas Office for Prevention of Developmental Disabilities.
Preventable Developmental Disabilities
The prevention of brain injuries is absolutely fundamental to preventing developmental disabilities (DDs). TOPDD primarily addresses the prevention of acquired child brain injury and fetal alcohol spectrum disorders.
The Texas Office for Prevention of Developmental Disabilities (TOPDD) mission is to minimize the human losses caused by preventable developmental disabilities, especially Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) and child brain injury.
The disabilities associated with brain injury and prenatal alcohol exposure are complex and impact every area of life.
Did you know?
1 in 6 children has a developmental disability
The cost of addressing issues that children with developmental disabilities experience is estimated to be $2million dollars per child; the human cost and personal impact cannot be quantified.
Children with developmental disabilities frequently need services from a large cross-section of systems in Texas throughout their lifetime. Accessing services is a struggle.
Living with developmental disabilities creates tremendous stress on the individuals, their families and communities.
- Pretty awesome @google! #disability https://t.co/QvY25LZhQa — 18 hours 54 min ago
- @SenRoyceWest @CindyBurkett_TX Championed for new laws that protect kids in care! #fostercare #TXLege We thank you! https://t.co/wrPKAHSWqa — 5 days 21 hours ago
- Hats off to you both! @SenRoyceWest @CindyBurkett_TX Voted Champions for children during 84th Leg to protect foster kids #fostercare #TXLege — 5 days 21 hours ago
- Thank you @B4Stage4's Paul Gionfriddo for raising awareness of children's unmet mental health needs in the schools! With @putkids1st — 6 days 2 hours ago
- Excellent discussion on #Medicaid with @statemedicaid's Matt Salo today! Thank you to @HoggFoundation and @putkids1st for this opportunity! — 6 days 3 hours ago
- Starting off a great day in #DC with a visit to the @BazelonCenter http://t.co/q74KVWCObb — 1 week 4 hours ago