Download our "Minding the Minds of Children" Brochure and learn more about the Texas Office for Prevention of Developmental Disabilities.
Preventable Developmental Disabilities
The prevention of brain injuries is absolutely fundamental to preventing developmental disabilities (DDs). TOPDD primarily addresses the prevention of acquired child brain injury and fetal alcohol spectrum disorders.
The Texas Office for Prevention of Developmental Disabilities (TOPDD) mission is to minimize the human losses caused by preventable developmental disabilities, especially Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) and child brain injury.
The disabilities associated with brain injury and prenatal alcohol exposure are complex and impact every area of life.
Did you know?
1 in 6 children has a developmental disability
The cost of addressing issues that children with developmental disabilities experience is estimated to be $2million dollars per child; the human cost and personal impact cannot be quantified.
Children with developmental disabilities frequently need services from a large cross-section of systems in Texas throughout their lifetime. Accessing services is a struggle.
Living with developmental disabilities creates tremendous stress on the individuals, their families and communities.
- Keep your kids safe! #AnchorIt #childsafety #injuryprevention https://t.co/BatTPeiUkj — 14 hours 24 min ago
- Keep your kids safe, TVs can tip over and crush a child if not anchored properly! #ChildSafety #AnchorIt #Prevention https://t.co/goVsU6amlT — 1 day 15 hours ago
- Did you know: alcohol in pregnancy may contribute to poor birth outcomes? #FASD #healthypregnancy #PreventionMatters https://t.co/tHWeJ8GJPM — 2 days 18 hours ago
- Why take the risk? #FASD #PreventionIsKey https://t.co/0gQP6kh9Ve — 2 days 20 hours ago
- Have you seen the new @CDC_NCBDDD MMWR report about alcohol use by women of childbearing age? https://t.co/1QkmxyQKus #FASD #prevention #SBI — 2 days 21 hours ago
- #LetsMakeTodayBetterBy sharing information with people in our lives about healthy pregnancies and keeping kids safe! https://t.co/6MuxSqy8Rn — 1 week 3 days ago